Cruise Dictionary: Magrodome & Cantilevered Whirlpool

Have you ever been in a conversation with a cruiser and the word magrodome is brought up or even cantilevered whirlpool? Did you actually know what the word magrodome means? Chances are you may not have known, but like I have before, you smile and nod while pretending to know what the word actually means. Well, have no fear – the cruise dictionary is here!

Eurodam's magrodome in the opened position.

Eurodam’s magrodome in the opened position.


The word magrodome is technically defined as the sliding glass dome over a space aboard a cruise ship. The most common place where a magrodome is found: the Lido deck. Many cruise ships nowadays (most extensively Holland America Line ships) include a magrodome over at least one Lido deck area. Usually the magrodome is left open, therefore letting in the warmth and sun of the Caribbean, but it can also be closed to protect cruisers from rain, snow, and or even just to keep the Lido area warm on a chilly night.

Liberty of the Sea's cantilevered whirlpool in the top left.

Liberty of the Sea’s cantilevered whirlpool in the top right.

Cantileverd Whirlpool

Cantilevered is defined as a projecting structure, but in a cruise version, it’s actually a whirlpool that extends over the side of a cruise ship, usually located just off of the Lido deck. Cantilevered whirlpools for the most part can only be found aboard Royal Caribbean’s Freedom and Oasis class ships, but can also be found aboard Carnival’s Dream class ships – just off of the exterior promenade.

That’s it for our cruise dictionary this week, check back next Friday for another set of cruise words!


Photos: Mike Faust




Mike Faust

Mike Faust is an avid world traveler, often found traversing city streets in Asia and Europe rather than his home city of Boca Raton. Mike has touched down in 39 countries, set sail on 35 cruises, and flown over 400,000 lifetime miles.