Today marks a month since the Costa Concordia crashed into rocks off of the coast of the island of Giligo in Italy. On that night 17 people lost their lives. Today their are still around 15 people missing, they are presumed dead. Over the past month their have been many new developments on the Concordia. Here are the main stories, summarized.
- The Concordia has moved 24 inches since coming to a rest on the rocks of Giligo, she is now only feet from falling off into a trench with a depth of around 300 feet.
- Fuel is now being pumped from the Concordia’s fuel tanks, she is currently carying around 500,000 gallons of fuel. An environmental disaster waiting to happen.
- The search for more survivors and bodies inside the Concordia has now been called off in response to the ship’s dangerous movements.
- Captain Schetinno remains under house arrest on charges of manslaughter, abandoning ship early, and causing a shipwreck.
- Costa Cruise’s is now taking bids from salvage companies to remove the Concordia from the rocks of Giligo.
- A new witness, Domnica Cemortan, came forward saying she was with Captain Schetinno on the night of the crash and has now professed her love for the Captain.
- Cruise ships world wide now preform the muster drill before leaving their main port of embarkation, a rule that came too late.
The Costa Concordia tragedy continues to develop every week, and will continue to for many months to come. You can stay updated with the latest news on the Concordia on our new page HERE.
The Concordia has caused much hardship to the families who have lost loved one’s in this horrible tragedy, and has definitely cast a dark shadow over the entire cruise industry.
If I missed anything relating to major stories about the Concordia please leave us a comment, and we will update the article ASAP.